Health Information Technology Integration
- Clinical decision support.
- Computerized disease registries.
- Computerized provider order entry.
- Consumer health IT applications.
- Electronic medical record systems (EMRs, EHRs, and PHRs).
- Electronic prescribing.
Why Is Health IT Important?
- Accurate and complete information about a patient's health. That way, providers can give the best possible care, whether during a routine visit or a medical emergency.
- The ability to better coordinate the care given. This is especially important if a patient has a serious medical condition.
- A way to securely share information with patients and their family caregivers over the Internet, for patients who opt for this convenience. This means patients and their families can more fully take part in decisions about their health care.
- Information to help diagnose health problems sooner, reduce medical errors, and provide safer care at lower costs.